Empowered By Design with Dr. Lyz: Episode 11: Balancing and Nurturing Your Busy, Beautiful mind - Nurture the Mind
Dr. Lyz: Licensed Psychologist, Wellness Entrepreneur, Relationship Specialist
Empowered By Design Podcast: Psychology, Mental Health and Wellness, Relationships, Mindset, Self-care, Self-reflection and Personal Growth
Our minds might be busy, and they are also BEAUTIFUL!! In this episode of the Empowered By Design Podcast, I continue the series - Nurturing Yourself by Designing and Delivering the Life of Your Dreams - Body, Mind, Heart, Soul, and Spirit. I invite awareness, curiosity, and appreciation for different states of mind - occasions when our minds are focused, conscious, intentionally aware and occasions when our minds are wandering. I model strategies for connecting to the present moment and invite you to practice them with me. I share the benefits of mindful balance and empower you to reflect upon your own experiences to increase your personal awareness, to enhance your relationships with yourself and others, and to appreciate the power and potential of your mind. I deliver a reading of Kobi Yamada’s book, Maybe: A Story about the Endless Potential in All of Us, sharing its meaning for me and inviting you to notice its meaning for you.
Subscribe to my email list to stay connected:
Follow Dr. Lyz on Social Media:
Clubhouse: follow @DrLyz
Welcome to the podcast, Empowered By Design with Dr. Lyz! This podcast is designed to bring you psychological concepts in real life terms that will empower a proactive approach to mental health and overall wellness while inviting balance, harmony, connection, and joy. Lyz DeBoer Kreider, PhD, a licensed psychologist in Pennsylvania and New York, shares her passion for helping you pursue your dreams and goals for life and love with intentional vision. This podcast is about finding and owning your power right now and using it for good, by nurturing the connection of body, mind, heart, soul, and spirit. Empowered By Design Podcast delivers psychological concepts and practical strategies with a real life approach, designed to empower: Health and wellness, Optimal performance, Authentic connection with yourself and others, and purposeful, joyful living.
Dr. Lyz’s Signature Formula: Dream, Design, Deliver
Dream - Reflect, Attend
Design - Create, Plan
Deliver - Align, Evaluate, Celebrate
Download a free guide for using the Dream, Design, Deliver Signature Formula to pursue your dreams with Intentional Vision. And check out Episode 4 for more information on Dr. Lyz’s Dream, Design, Deliver Signature Formula.
Show Notes for Episode 11 of Empowered By Design Podcast with Dr. Lyz: Balancing and Nurturing your Busy, Beautiful Mind
- We continue the Series - Designing and Delivering the Life of Your Dreams - Body, Mind, Heart, Soul, and Spirit (Episode 9)
- Tuning in to your body’s language - Nurture the Body (Episode 10)
- This episode begins with a reading of the book, Maybe by Kobi Yamada - “A Story about the Endless Potential in All of Us”; Illustrated by Gabriella Barouch
- Nurturing the Mind includes appreciation for its connection to our experiences of body, mind, heart, soul, and spirit.
- Signs: The Secret Language of the Universe by Laura Lynne Jackson
- Autopilot mode occurs when we find ourselves performing actions in an automatic manner without having to be intentional (e.g., driving, riding a bike). It can be helpful in times that require multitasking.
- Autopilot mode can pull us away from the present moment, focusing on the past, the future, or the mind wandering to a dream/daydream/creative/fantasy state.
- Autopilot also might contribute to missing opportunity for experiences of connection with others, experiences for joy or other pleasant experiences.
- Think of a recent occasion that you experienced autopilot mode, focusing on the past
- Strategy - Attend to the Breath as an anchor to the present moment
- Think of an occasion that you experienced autopilot mode, focusing on the future
- Strategy - 54321 Mindfulness/Grounding
- Identify: 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste
- You can mix the order of senses and replace any sense with another, as it applies to your circumstance or situation
- Strategy - 54321 Mindfulness/Grounding
- It is most helpful to attend to your experience with curiosity and a sense of awareness, rather than judgment
- Mind wandering (to the past, future, fantasy, etc.) is not inherently “bad or good”
- The experience of mind wandering can also be protective - offering conscious disconnect from the present moment in times of stress, discomfort, danger, trauma
- Excessive reliance on mind wandering to avoid unpleasant or uncomfortable experiences, over time can contribute to the development of unhealthy or maladaptive patterns.
- In the spirit of increasing awareness, we can also promote healthy balance and nurturing attention to the aspects of mind focus and mind wandering.
- Tune into your mind - the beauty, complexity, and the unique aspects of your mind with curiosity, intentionality, and awareness.